New Addition: Go here for full story but here are some interesting excerpts from Richard Miniter’s piece on the myths about Zarqawi in this week’s Weekly Standard:
Myth #1: The US “created” Zarqawi
Myth #2: Killing Zarqawi didn’t really accomplish anything; it was like cutting off the head of the Hydra
Myth #3: Zarqawi was beaten to death by Americans
Zarqawi letter: divide the Shia and US occupiers, foment a US-Iran war, prevent the formation of an Iraqi National Guard, and manipulate the media. See the letter here. Among the more interesting elements of the letter which included three lists constituting a ‘to do’ list:
To improve the image of the resistance in society, increase the number of supporters who are refusing occupation and show the clash of interest between society and the occupation and its collaborators. To use the media for spreading an effective and creative image of the resistance.
Drowning the Americans in another war that will engage many of their forces.
The possibility of acquiring new weapons from the Iranian side, either after the fall of Iran or during the battles.
The question remains, how to draw the Americans into fighting a war against Iran? It is not known whether American is serious in its animosity towards Iraq, because of the big support Iran is offering to America in its war in Afghanistan and in Iraq. Hence, it is necessary first to exaggerate the Iranian danger and to convince America and the west in general, of the real danger coming from Iran, and this would be done by the following:
1.By disseminating threatening messages against American interests and the American people and attribute them to a Shi’a Iranian side.
2. By executing operations of kidnapping hostages and implicating the Shi’a Iranian side.
3. By advertising that Iran has chemical and nuclear weapons and is threatening the west with these weapons.
4. By executing exploding operations in the west and accusing Iran by planting Iranian Shi’a fingerprints and evidence.
5. By declaring the existence of a relationship between Iran and terrorist groups (as termed by the Americans).
6. By disseminating bogus messages about confessions showing that Iran is in possession of weapons of mass destruction or that there are attempts by the Iranian intelligence to undertake terrorist operations in America and the west and against western interests.