1) Reform PERS
2) Allow the teachers to pay for their own contribution to PERS (right now most districts/governmental entities pick up both the employee and employer’s contributions)
3) Close schools that don’t have a critical mass of students
4) Privatize as many services that cater to schools as possible eg busing, cafeteria etc.
5) Allow the creation of more charter schools
6) exterminate CIM/CAM and any other programs THAT DON’T WORK!
7) introduce merit pay into the teaching ranks (that way GOOD teachers are paid MORE)
8) cut back on sick time abuses (Portland teachers use more of their sick time than any other school district in the state)
**Any other ideas?